Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Time for an update...

Hello Friends,

Before I say anything more: Happy Birthday Krystal! I miss you intensely and I love you deeply. Have a wonderful day!

Ok, so, I figure it's time for an update about what's been going on here in my life.

Lately, I've been feeling really good. I feel inspired and confident and most importantly at peace. Which is funny since the aspects of my life are nowhere close to the meeting goals I have set for myself, but maybe it's because I feel like the path towards them is getting clearer.

I will begin my interior design course THIS month! That's the big news for me. I'm signed up, just waiting for my materials now. I'm so excited about this. I think I finally found what I want. Why this though, why interior design? I don't blame you for asking since so far my accomplishments and adventures have not exactly pointed in this direction. Well, it's a long question to answer, but I will try to make it brief. Last year, with the planning of move to Germany and my graduation coming up, I started re-evaluating what I wanted to do with my life...generally how I wanted it to feel and more specifically what I would like my days to consist of. After some soul searching I explored the idea of being an interior designer. That led to some research about the field and what the profession entailed and the education needed to get there. I liked what I saw. I liked having the opportunity to be creative everyday. I loved the aspect of project management and execution. I liked the idea of helping people professionally achieve their dreams of what they want their home, office or business to look and feel like. That's very important because home, work and play are vital aspects of life. I think this is what makes the job fulfilling. Last but not least, I like the fact that as a designer, you can work for a firm or choose to branch out on your own. You could do both and not have to change careers. Being my own boss is an attractive concept, one that I would like to achieve one day. Oh yes, and not being stuck in the 9 to 5. Not that it's bad, I just think it might not be for me. Oh and one more thing - the people you get to meet and the relationships that will be created is also another exciting part of it all. I realize your network grows no matter your job but in this case I'm looking forward to meeting clients and discussing their wants, their needs, the things they like and don't like and what inspires them. Also, the contractors and furniture suppliers and designers and on and on...yes, yes, yes....so cool. Can't wait to meet them all. So ya, that's pretty much it. Can't wait to start, the journey looks like it will be fun.

My job is going great. I don't know if I've mentioned what it is that I do here. Well, in case I haven't, I'm a nanny for a nice German family. I won't be giving any more details than that about my day to day at work because, well, I don't think my bosses would appreciate it. But I can say that it is fun and the children I take care of are super! I work everyday and have weekends off. Finally, can you believe that!? - WEEKENDS OFF!!

My German lessons are going really well too. I'm finishing up my course in two weeks and am doing these last two weeks intensively. So, 3 hours a day of German, five days a week. They don't call it "intense" for fun. It's serious stuff. But I like it. It's only my second day of intensiveness and I already feel a difference. Up to now I was only going twice a week. This is much better. So after I finish up my lessons I will look for a German speaking tandem partner who wants to practice their English...or French, I guess - whatever. That should also be an interesting little adventure...

All technical aspects about relocating to Germany are pretty much in order. Except for my driver's license. I just have to trade my Canadian one in for a German one. No big deal, but I just haven't go around to it yet. Oh ya, and I have to figure out how to do my taxes here and make sure my Canadian ones get done too.

I love, love, love, our apartment. The skeleton is in place and it feels good. Decoration, art and other details are to follow, but we are not in a rush. I'm still really, really enjoying the city - even in this snow and cold!! Yes, that's correct - cold and snow. This is the first winter in a long time (maybe ever!!) that Berliners can remember it being this cold and snowy here. Just our Canadian luck, eh? But still I shouldn't complain. By cold I mean -5 degrees (average worst case) and by snow I mean an annoying white blanket about 4-6cm thick that is persisting despite some warm days when it appears it will be gone the next day, just to get a couple more flurries that night and loose a couple of degrees of warmth. But still I'm in love with the city. I can't imagine what I will feel like when it's a bright sunny day in June and I'm biking around my neighbourhood!!!! Oh man - can't wait for that day either.

So thats good - work, school, home, weather - all necessary topics covered.

One last thing before I go do my Hausaufgabe (homework in German). Below is a picture I took today from the sBahn on my way to school that I would like to share. I think it was at the Savignyplatz station on the walls. There were some other interesting artworks actually hung up on these outdoor brick walls, and some nice graffiti of course. No sarcasm, there's a lot of graffiti in Berlin and a lot of it is nice. I would have taken some pictures of the others but there was no time as my train was on its way to the next station. But this one struck me first, and I was struggling to quickly pull out my Handy (cell phone in German) because I desperately wanted this photographed. It's for your enjoyment because it's just nice but really it's for my mom. Ma, if you are reading this, you know why this picture holds a link to you for me. Actually I'll probably send it to you later.

It says: Nature does not need us, we need nature.

Goodnight xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment