Saturday, October 24, 2009

Some observations...

Since I've been in Berlin, I've noticed a few things I'd like to share. Things that are different from what I know and that surprised me.

1. EBK: stands for einbaukueche which means "installed kitchen". On our apartment search we've realized that we must look for apartments that have EBKs (about 50% have them) otherwise you gotta buy your own kitchen and install it. WTF!? I don't get it. This means that the person living there before took their kitchen with them when they left. Or it means that there are people out there looking for apartments to live in but they have their own kitchen packed up in their boxes. How weird is that?
2. unleashed dogs: Almost everyone in Berlin seems to have a dog. And they all walk obediently beside their owners or just up ahead - unleashed! The dogs wait to cross the street and they seem very aware of the fact that they are walking with their owner. Sometimes I try to get between them to see if I can confuse the dog so that it'll follow me instead. But it never works. The dogs here seem so smart =)
3. credit? : Seems like I live in a cash society now. Plastic is not the most convenient way to pay for things. And credit cards are very different from what I'm used to. A credit card here means that you get to buy things you can't afford but only for 30 days. What ever you put on your credit card during the month you must pay your balance in full when you get your statement! People don't know what a minimum payment is here! I guess it's good ... but it's still weird.

hhmmmmm......

No comments:

Post a Comment