Sunday, September 27, 2009

Oktoberfest '09


We arrived in Munich on Monday, checked into the little hotel and hopped into our Dirndls. We took the U-bahn to the Oktoberfest. The locals call it "Wiesn" - which translates to mean the field. I guess that makes sense since back in the day this fest was held in a field. As we approached the sound of the crowd became more apparent, we could hear the bass of loud music and we could see the glittering lights of the carnival rides. Once we entered, it was like a circus. People everywhere, many dressed in their Dirndls and Lederhosen, sausage stands, candy stands, caipirinha stands, pretzel stands, memorabilia stands, rides and games, and of course the beer tents. The beer tents are all pretty big, they are more like large buildings with tent roofs. We had a table reserved at the Augustina tent. We sat at our table and joined some people there, ordered big beers and had a lot of fun. We ate Schweinebraten mit karttofelkloesse. The atmoshere there was pleasantly rowdy and very alive. Later, Pauli and I walked around outside, surprised by the effect of the beer, exploring the grounds and we did the Free Fall ride. Super intense!! We went back to the hotel soon after to rest our woozy heads.

The next day we walked around Munich's city center - Marienplatz. Pauli bought a new, more traditional outfit he could wear that night (not Lederhosen though!). We sat at the Augustiner am Dom Restaurant and had a little sausage platter, when suddenly, who do I see out of the corner of my eye?! My friend Kristin, from the Concordia lab I worked at, is strolling down the street, followed by a group of tourists, giving a tour of Munich!! I knew she was in Munich but I didn't really expect to find her. I ran up to her, interrupted her tour, hugged a bunch of times in disbelief and made plans to meet at the Oktoberfest that night. Later, we went back to the hotel, hopped back into our Dirndls and out we went, back to the fest, this time to sit in the Kaefer tent. This was my favourite tent although Kristin claims it's a lame one =) The crowd here was a little more reserved but everyone is still partying and the atmoshere was very festive. Yeah, you had the promis (word for celebs) and the in-crowd people. Overall it had a more fancy-shmancy feel than the other tents but I think it was the coolest. Maybe I am getting old ... As usual we ate a lot and drank a lot. One of Pauli's relatives/cousin(?), Andrej - who's our age, came to meet us. Afterwards, we all met up with Kristin at the tent she was in. I don't even remember what the name of it was but INSANE is all I have to say. It was crowded, it was sweaty, it was loud and it was above all FUN! This is what I imagined Oktoberfest to be like - debauchery =) Everyone was standing on the tables singing and dancing and having conversations that make no sense. As fun as it was I only lasted one big beer (see, I am getting old!) and out we went for some air and more rides.

We drove home the next day, 600km, and slept like babies that night. I would for sure go back next year!

In the Augustiner tent.

Schweinebraten mit karttofelkloesse.

Walking around outside.

Mucke and I in our Dirndls.

In the Kaefer tent.

The INSANE tent =) This pic was of course taken from a tabletop.

Kristin and I.

Andrej and Pauli.

View from the Ferris Wheel.

Around Marienplatz.

Around Marienplatz.

Well ... 'till next time,

xoxo Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment